ResNet Port Activations
Penn residences include Ethernet ports for wired access to the ResNet network. Connecting to these networks first requires activating the port and then registering the connected devices.
Activate Ethernet Port
Students that would like to use a ResNet port first must request to activate it. Student residents of Sansom Place East and West will contact the Tech Center to request that their port be activated. When a ResNet port activation request is made, please create a ticket with all the necessary information, including the residence building, room number, and port number. Next, notify a full-time staff member of the request and they will submit a ticket to the networking team to activate the port. This process typically takes 1-2 business days.
NOTE: Residents of other college houses can contact College House Computing for assistance activating their Ethernet ports and registering devices.
Once the ResNet port has been activated, the full-time staff member will notify you so that you can contact the student. Please forward the following instructions to the students so that they can register their devices.
The ResNet port that you have requested has been activated. All connected devices will have to be registered. Devices are registered in one of two ways depending on their type: browser-enabled devices (computers) and non-browser devices (printers, game consoles).
- The first time you plug in your computer and launch a web browser, you will be redirected to the network registration page.
- Under the header Register Your Computer, enter your and password and then click Accept.
- Restart your computer for the change to take effect. Once this is done, your device is registered.
- On a browser-enabled device, navigate to the Network Registration website.
- Authenticate with your and password.
- Complete the Network Registration form and click continue.
Once the form has been submitted with the non-browser device’s information, the device can be connected and used on the network.
NOTE: The registration database is cleared twice a year in January and May. After the database has been cleared, you will have to re-register your computer if you wish to continue to connect to the network.